Interesting Facts and Quotes
- New Years Day in the Hebrew Calendar occurs on the first day of the
seventh Jewish month (called Tishri). The first day of Tishri occurs in
late September or early October.
- Until 1582, New Years Day in the Christian calendar was celebrated
on March 25th, a date which coincided closely with the beginning of the
first Jewish month (Nisan), i.e., the beginning of Passover and Easter.
- In 1582, Pope Gregory XIII moved New Years Day to January 1st when
he initiated the Gregorian calendar. Britain did not accept this change
until 1752. Russia adopted it in 1918, and Turkey in 1927.
- The "Edict of Milan" The Roman emperor, Constantine,
legalized Christianity in the year 313 A.D.
- The Roman emperor Theodosus, a fierce Christian, made Christianity
the state religion of the Roman Empire in 392 A.D., completely forbidding
pagan worship in the world.
- If Jesus began preaching in 27 A.D. as some think, exactly 365 years
passed between the time He began preaching and the time world paganism
ended, i.e., a year of years. However, the Gospel of Luke tells us that
when He began to teach, "Jesus was about thirty years old..."
- The name 'Bethlehem' means in Hebrew, 'house of bread'.
- Jesus, the bread of life, was laid in a manger when He was born.
A manger is a food trough in the stable.
- 'Unleavened bread' - pure, no leaven (no teaching of the Pharisees)
- "The Church is Christ's body, and he is its head" (Col.1:18).
- "I tell you most solemnly, whoever keeps my word will never see
death." (John 8:51)
- There will be no memory of the past. (Is.66:17)
- There will be no memory of people who do not go to heaven. (Is.26:14)
- "All the works of God go in pairs by opposites"
- "Remember the maxim: 'Keep to what is written": (1 Cor.4:6.)
- "Where goods abound, parasites abound" (Eccl.5:10).
- Hannukah, the Jewish celebration which commemorates the purification
of the Jewish altar, is not mentioned in the Jewish Bible or even in the
King James Bible. It's biblical description is contained only in the Greek
- The name 'Moab' means 'of scandalous origin' -- a name derived from
the daughters of Lot. Moab was a perennial enemy of Israel
- Edom is Esau's other name. It means 'red' and stands for the lentils
he sold his birthright to Jacob (Israel) for.
- Jacob fought against an angel of God. For this, God renamed him 'Israel'.
- It was Jacob's children (and two of his grandchildren) that form the
House of Israel.
- Lot was Abraham's brother's son (Abraham's nephew)
- October 7, 3761 B.C. -- The date God created Adam and Eve (according
to the Jews of the Middle Ages). This date is still used in calculating
the year of the Jewish calendar.
- The word 'man' is a translation of the Hebrew word 'adam' which is
a general expression meaning something like 'mankind'
- "After forming man, God breathed life into him". (the man
came first, the life second)
- The word 'soul' is a translation of the Hebrew word 'nephesh' which
- The name 'eve' ('Havvah' in Hebrew) means 'to live' -- mother of all
- After Cain killed Abel, God banished him to the land of Nod. The Hebrew
word for 'nod' is related to the term meaning 'wanderer', therefore to
dwell in the land of Nod means to take up a life of wandering -- becoming
- Adam had a third son, Seth. It was from this line that the House of
- There were 8 patriarchs before the flood. (10 counting Adam and Seth).
The oldest was Methusalah who lived 969 years.
- Francis of Assisi built the first creche. It was an 'all living' stable.
Before Francis, the practice was pilgrimmage to Bethlehem. Francis was
the first to take Bethlehem to other cities in the simplicity of the manger.
- There are currently 7 gates that give entrance to the old city of Jerusalem.
An 8th gate also exists, but it is sealed.
- The sealed 8th gate is called the "Golden Gate" and it faces
east, toward the Mount of Olives
- When the final exiles of the Diaspora (the City of David in exile)
return to Jerusalem, it is through this sealed gate that they will enter
Jerusalem. The stones sealing the gate will fall, the trumpet will sound
& Jesus will return in glory.
- "God said, 'Let us make man in our own image'." (Gen.1:26).
The plural form used here and other places in the Old Testament to designate
the Diety has often been cited as ancient scriptural proof of the Triune
nature of God.
- "This people has taken a wrong turning, and those who are led
are lost." (Is.9:15)
- The Jewish temple represented 'imageless' worship, a unique concept
in antiquity. But the temple later became an image in itself. And that
image continues to this day in the form of a wall -- the Wailing Wall.
- Jesus brought true 'imageless' worship in the form of 'Word' -- a worship
in spirit and in truth that lives in people's hearts.
- The City of David (on Mount Ophel) was called the 'lower city'.
- The western hill (now called Mount Zion) was higher and so was called
the 'upper city'. This is where the residences of the richest people were
located. It was also the site of Jesus' Last Supper. It is west of the
City of David.
- Just north of the City of David (i.e., north of Mount Ophel) is Mount
Moriah, the temple mount on which is located the Rock of Abraham upon which
Solomon's and Herod's temples were built. This rock is currently the site
of the Moslem 'Dome of the Rock' temple.
- The temples of Solomon and Herod, built 600 years apart, were both
destroyed on the very same Hebrew calendar day (the 10th day of Loos).
Both destructions resulted in an exile to 'Babylon'.
- The name 'Lucifer' means 'light-bringer'; it is related to the planet
Venus, which, in winter months, heralds the dawn. In Hebrew, the word 'Lucifer'
is 'helel', the 'shining one', also a reference to Venus. Another name
for this planet is 'daystar' because in winter it heralds the coming of
the day. All these references relate to the appearance at the very end
of time of the beast whose coming will announce to the world the imminent
return of Jesus.
- "To God belongs earth and all it holds, the world and all who
live in it; he himself founded it on the ocean, based it firmly on the
nether sea." (Ps.24:1-2).
- "Let the nations muster round you in a body, and then return,
high over them." (Ps.7:7).
- "By the word of God the heavens were made, their whole array by
the breath of his mouth...He spoke, and it was created; he commanded, and
there it stood." (Ps.33:6-9).
- "He who conceals his faults will not prosper, he who confesses
and renounces them will find mercy." (Prov.28:13).
- "For though the virtuous man falls seven times, he stands up again;
the wicked are the ones who stumble in adversity." (Prov.24:16).
- "He who keeps the commandment is keeper of himself, but he who
despises the word shall die." (Prov.19:16).
- "The man who is kind to the poor lends to God: he will repay him
for what he has done." (Prov.19:17).
- "Death and life are in the gift of the tongue, thhose who indulge
it must eat the fruit it yeilds." (Prov.18:21).
- "The wicked man thinks of nothing but rebellion..." (Prov.17:11).
- "There is a way that some think right, but it leads in the end
to death." (Prov.16:25).
- "He who listens closely to the word shall find happiness; he who
puts his trust in the Lord is blessed." (Prov.16:20).
- "...love covers over all offences." (Prov.10:12).
- "I mean to make good progress, as the blameless do." (Ps.101:2).
- Wisdom hidden away and treasure undisplayed, what use are either of
- Many mysteries remain, for we have seen only a few of His works.
- "All scripture is inspired by God and can profitably be used for
teaching, for refuting error, for guiding people's lives and teaching them
to be holy. This is how the man who is dedicated to God becomes fully equipped
and ready for any good work." (2 Tim.3:16-17).
- "I hate and despise your feasts, I take no pleasure in your solemn
festivals. When you offer me holocausts, I reject your oblations, and refuse
to look at your sacrifices of fattened cattle. Let me have no more of the
din of your chanting, no more of your strumming on harps. But let justice
flow like water, and integrity like an unfailing stream." (Amos 5:21-24).
- "I tell you most solemnly, unless a man is born from above, he
cannot see the kingdom of God...Unless a man is born through water and
the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God..." (John 3:5).
- "Believe me, woman, the hour is coming when you will worship the
Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem...God is spirit, and those
who worship must worship in spirit and truth." (John 4:21-24).
- "You study the scriptures, believing that in them you have eternal
life; now these same scriptures testify to me, and yet you refuse to come
to me for life!" (John 5:39-40).
- "I am the resurrection. If anyone believes in me, even though
he dies he will live, and whoever lives and believed in me will never die."
- The number 7:
- The earth was completed by God in 7 days.
There are 7 continents.
There are 7 seas.
The holiest day in the Hebrew calendar was in the 7th month.
The Hebrew New Year was also in the 7th month.
Pentecost was 7 weeks after Easter.
There are 7 days in a week.
The Hebrew Jubilee was the year following 7 weeks of years.
The Biblical number 7 signifies 'completeness', 'totality' and 'perfection'.
The three major Hebrew festivals each lasted 7 days.
The Bible shows that God has 7 eyes.
The Book of Revelation is addressed to the 7 Christian Churches.
These seven churches are overseen by 7 angels.
There are 7 open gates into Jerusalem.
The golden Candlestick in the Hebrew temple had 7 arms & 7 lamps.
The Bible shows that there are 7 angels of God's presence.
- The number 12 is the sacred number. It stands for the New Jerusalem.
- To the Hebrews, the perfect number was 21 (i.e., 3 times 7).
- The number 18 in Hebrew is the same character for the word meaning
'alive' or 'living', so it also has special significance.
- The number 4 stands for the whole world; also for the whole universe,
i.e., the 'four winds' of heaven. It is the number of Gospels that bring
us God's Word from heaven.
Goodnews Christian Ministry
All books, contents & materials copyright
© 1991 to 2009
Goodnews Christian Ministry.
To find out more about Goodnews Christian Ministry,